Happy Happy Joy Joy ….
I was going to write a blog about coming to terms with my mortality, but I decided it wasn’t all that festive so I’ll save that gem until after Christmas. You lucky things.
Instead I’m writing about that one big thing that everyone’s talking about, no, not Christmas, but the wikileaks scandal.
Just fucking with you, I’m going to write about Christmas. And for once I’m going to keep it very brief because for me the message is pretty simple (and I’m late for my swim) ….
Make a conservative effort to be genuinely happy. For a day or two forget about what you lack, what’s making you worried, stressed or sad. Remember what you have and who you have. And remember that they want to see you happy.
To aid you on this journey to euphoria, I have a step by step guide for mind blowing Christmas fun ….
Things to do …… (because Christmas is extreme, like in Spinal Tap it goes up to 11 …)
1) Put up and look at fairy lights – never underestimate how festive they will make you feel – providing they’re clear. If they’re coloured and flashing they’ll make you feel depressed.
2) Go for walks, that don’t involve shops.
3) Contemplate and talk about going to midnight mass, whether you go or not is arbitrary.
4) Take a moment to appreciate the people in your life and a moment to appreciate the people who aren’t any more.
5) Give Mariah Carey the respect she’s due.
6) Read. I hate Catcher in the Rye – the guy in it’s a dick, but it’s a nice book to read this time of year. He mentions hot chocolate and snow – among other things.
7) Watch films – see below.
8 ) Give monks props – nothing spells Christmas like singing monks.
9) Get tipsy but not totally pissed – Christmas is not the time people. It’s not about you.
10) Eat stuff – I don’t really like Christmassy food but have a mice pie and smile through the pain.
11) Be happy. You’ll have a better time.
Things to watch …
1) Mrs Doubtfire
2) The Snowman
3) Life of Brian
4) The Queens Speech – not the alternative one, you’re not a try-hard, pre-pubescent rock band
5) Black Adder
6) Lord of The Rings
7) Background noise – whatever’s on tv at Christmas
8 ) The Red Shoes
9) An old Simpsons episode
10) Great Expectations
11) The turkey, don’t want to burn it …….. ahhohoho.
And remember, Jesus isn’t just for the religious, that’s why he comes from an unconventional family, he’s fun for everyone. Yay for Jesus!